Friday, 3 January 2014
Public Sector Recruitments through GATE Exam Score
Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) in India facing troubles for long time in recruiting candidates with more than 100,000 students competing for less than 1000 thousand jobs ( selection rate of less than 1%). After the gradual increase in the number of engineering graduates in India who are willing to get a PSU job, the PSUs have decided as GATE exam score is the primary criteria for the initial shortlisting. This change in the recruitment process brought rapid increase in the applicants from GATE 2012.
The first PSU which successfully tested the process of recruitment was Indian Oil Corporation. After two years National Thermal Power Corporation, Bharat Heavy Electricals, Bharat Electronics & Power Grid Corporation of India.
Generally these companies release their job notification right after GATE notification, indicating that Candidate must undergo GATE entrance exam as a primary criteria to get a job in these PSU Organizations.
The following Public Sector Undertakings have signed Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) with GATE 2014 organizing committee, for using GATE 2014 score as a screening tool for recruiting engineers at entry level positions in their organizations.
• Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
• Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
• Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
• National Fertilizers Ltd.
• Neyveli Lignite Corporation Ltd.
• National Hydroelectric Power Corporation Ltd.
• National Thermal Power Corporation Ltd.
• Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd.
• Vizag Steel Plant
• Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL)
• Mineral Exploration Corporation Ltd.
• Mazagon Dock Ltd.
• National Aluminium Company Ltd.
• Rail India Technical and Economic Services (RITES) Ltd.
Many other PSUs are also processing the MoU and these are in progress.
GATE Examinations for all the 22 papers will be conducted by an online Computer-Based Test (CBT). The online examination paper will contain some questions for which numerical answers must be keyed in by the candidate using the "virtual" (i.e. on-screen) keypad. Rest of the questions shall be of Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) type.